Motherwell v Rangers 18/03/2023

SteelmaninOZ

16 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Special mention also yesterday to Casey. What about that run in the 2nd half when he sprinted whole length of park to support KVV.

Get him signed up asap. Really like him as a defender and his attitude, reminds me very much of Tom Aldred.

Captain material. 

• Thanks 1

Not a surprising result or scoreline.

With Obika out and Mandron obviously not fit enough to start, it was impossible to keep a settled 11 or formation / tactics to the previous 4 games.

Despite that, I thought things worked well enough in the first half getting the early goal and its testament to the defence that Rangers never had a shot at goal until the free kick.

So frustrating then, as Slattery didnt need to make the tackle in the first place and Kelly and the defensive wall combined to gift Tavernier his goal.

It was clear we were struggling with an out ball though, and I felt Kettlewell should have changed something at half time to allow us better ball retention and to get up the park a bit more as it was obvious Rangers would make changes to give themselves a greater goal threat.

Hard to criticise the first goal as it was a great early cross and Sakala does McGinn with some clever movement to create the space needed to get his header away.

Good to see us come back though and get the equaliser, quickly followed by a great chance for KVV.

The 3rd goal for me is the turning point and where we lose the game. It looks offside to me all day long, but I get the argument for perspective and narrowing of lines away from the camera, so given how close Max was to being offiside I guess we just have to take that one as both were very close in real time.

The 4th goal again is great movement and skill to undo us and the game is probably over at that point, but the red card is a joke. Cantwell had been kicking Slattery and Goss all game without punishment, so hardly surprising he held a hand out to protect himself. The fact that Cantwell has gone down holding his face and has got a fellow pro sent off should be looked at. Just no need for it.

Overall, not the worst performance with mitigating circumstances and shouldnt dent the confidence too much ahead of the games that really matter.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Special mention also yesterday to Casey. What about that run in the 2nd half when he sprinted whole length of park to support KVV.

Get him signed up asap. Really like him as a defender and his attitude, reminds me very much of Tom Aldred.

Mon Kapitan Casey :fan:

19 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64757356

This happened in England but proves that players can be punished for feigning injury. Not sure the SFA have the balls to do it to a h*n though.

Can you imagine the seethe and "letters of clarification" Heading for Hampden if an ugly sisters player was cited for deliberate cheating, the SFA are shit scared of them? But as those two get an easy ride media wise in Scotland its never going to happen, to the detriment of the other 40 clubs in the SPFL.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64757356

This happened in England but proves that players can be punished for feigning injury. Not sure the SFA have the balls to do it to a h*n though.

I have never seen it happen in a men's game in England. It's rare they even pick up a booking despite feigning injury happening in almost every game I watch, including twice today.

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Can you imagine the seethe and "letters of clarification" Heading for Hampden if an ugly sisters player was cited for deliberate cheating, the SFA are shit scared of them? But as those two get an easy ride media wise in Scotland its never going to happen, to the detriment of the other 40 clubs in the SPFL.

The other 40 clubs could get rid of the arse cheeks if they all stick together , But self interest for most of these clubs means it will never happen. 

6 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Not a surprising result or scoreline.

With Obika out and Mandron obviously not fit enough to start, it was impossible to keep a settled 11 or formation / tactics to the previous 4 games.

Despite that, I thought things worked well enough in the first half getting the early goal and its testament to the defence that Rangers never had a shot at goal until the free kick.

So frustrating then, as Slattery didnt need to make the tackle in the first place and Kelly and the defensive wall combined to gift Tavernier his goal.

It was clear we were struggling with an out ball though, and I felt Kettlewell should have changed something at half time to allow us better ball retention and to get up the park a bit more as it was obvious Rangers would make changes to give themselves a greater goal threat.

Hard to criticise the first goal as it was a great early cross and Sakala does McGinn with some clever movement to create the space needed to get his header away.

Good to see us come back though and get the equaliser, quickly followed by a great chance for KVV.

The 3rd goal for me is the turning point and where we lose the game. It looks offside to me all day long, but I get the argument for perspective and narrowing of lines away from the camera, so given how close Max was to being offiside I guess we just have to take that one as both were very close in real time.

The 4th goal again is great movement and skill to undo us and the game is probably over at that point, but the red card is a joke. Cantwell had been kicking Slattery and Goss all game without punishment, so hardly surprising he held a hand out to protect himself. The fact that Cantwell has gone down holding his face and has got a fellow pro sent off should be looked at. Just no need for it.

Overall, not the worst performance with mitigating circumstances and shouldnt dent the confidence too much ahead of the games that really matter.

Hopefully some bad luck is just around the corner for C*ntwell...he must be very insecure if he's got to get a fellow pro sent off when his team are 4-2 up . 

18 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Watched sportscene, 1st goal is a shocker between Slattery foul and Kelly making total pigs ear of it .

And we'll said Richard Foster for calling out Cantwell over 2nd Slattery booking, absolute embarrassment 

richard foster is now a mfc employee 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, well_said said:

The other 40 clubs could get rid of the arse cheeks if they all stick together , But self interest for most of these clubs means it will never happen. 

If they left I genuinely believe you would get bigger crowds as it would be a competitive league. Imagine playing in a league when you had a genuine chance of winning it. Will never happen though......a bit like me having a successful 10 minute comedy routine!! Lol

27 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

If they left I genuinely believe you would get bigger crowds as it would be a competitive league. Imagine playing in a league when you had a genuine chance of winning it. 

That'd be us next year if we got relegated. But folk said they didn't want that to happen for some reason :P 

On 3/18/2023 at 8:21 PM, MJC said:

Yeah but but, budgets! finances! size of support! Clubs our size can’t be expected to beat the Old Firm! I mean it’s not as if Killie, Ross County, St.Johnstone, Accies, St.Mirren have fared any better…..oh wait…

…Welcome to our great wee club!

Every single one of those clubs has had relegations in the time since we beat Rangers in the league. So I'm tempted to say that I'll settle for beating the other nine teams more consistently as it's worked out for us in the long run...

And we did beat them in the two games that really mattered... 

• Like 2

I'm certainly happier watching our top 2 and 3 league finishes, Euro games (however good and bad), cup runs and overall entertainment over the last 20 years than I would have been watching Accies.

Bottom of the Championship and years on a plastic pitch? Just naw.

19 hours ago, weeyin said:

I have never seen it happen in a men's game in England. It's rare they even pick up a booking despite feigning injury happening in almost every game I watch, including twice today.

The difference is that those cheats normally have the sense to grab the correct body part. Cantwell was not struck in the face so he can be correctly accused of cheating. Same situation with the Spurs lady, no contact was made with her face so she was adjudged to have cheated because she grabbed her face.

44 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

The difference is that those cheats normally have the sense to grab the correct body part. Cantwell was not struck in the face so he can be correctly accused of cheating. Same situation with the Spurs lady, no contact was made with her face so she was adjudged to have cheated because she grabbed her face.

I'm not convinced. I have lost count of the number of players I have seen collapse to the ground clutching their face when their opponent has caught them on the shoulder.

The incident I saw at the weekend, the ref saw it was no foul and let the opponent take the ball away, but no action was taking against the faker.

I agree with you and of course no further action will be taken. Cuntwell's dive was just so amateurish that it deserves punishment. Was nice to see Richard Foster giving it the criticism that it deserved though.

4 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

Was nice to see Richard Foster giving it the criticism that it deserved though.

With a compliant media and football authorities giving them an easy time, that's the one and only mention the incident will  get, from a club employee.

There were some horrific VAR calls across the board over the weekend in the other games but they actually benefited us. 

Nick Walsh is a poor referee, in the game we got pumped 6-1 by Rangers, he gave Stephen O'Donnell two yellows for the only two fouls he made but that Balogun for instance committed a similar foul that went unpunished and he then racked up 5 or 6 more and not even a word was spoken, I felt that was similar again with Cantwell. While we won free kicks in the middle area of the park he wasn't particularly interested in giving us anything in danger zones. They certainly always enjoy the benefit of doubt. The Goldson dive in the first half was hilarious.

I know they can't do anything about it as VAR can only intervene in certain circumstances but you wonder if the officials watching in the wee room let refs know if they make a general error.

I thought we defended well up until the Tavernier free kick, while Rangers enjoyed plenty of possession it was nice to see them resort to long balls and loads of their crosses kept going out of play. However it was sad that we shot ourselves in the foot. After we equalised it was a real shame that Van Veen missed his effort. I know Kettlewell has asked for clarification on VAR but doubt we will hear. 

On 3/19/2023 at 1:48 PM, yosemite sam said:

Thought Liam Kelly was extremely poor today. Not once did he play the ball out to feet. It was a hump up the park all game, and half of them he couldn't even keep in the park. Just giving the ball back to Rangers all game.

If Kelly has genuine international aspirations he's going to have to improve massively on his distribution.

Punts up the park don't cut it at higher levels in the modern game and I'm sure the Scotland team will have a big red mark against him on that.

It might even be the reason he's not been capped when his general form was better.

54 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

If Kelly has genuine international aspirations he's going to have to improve massively on his distribution.

Punts up the park don't cut it at higher levels in the modern game and I'm sure the Scotland team will have a big red mark against him on that.

It might even be the reason he's not been capped when his general form was better.

Kelly may not have complete control of what he does. He could well be carrying out instructions from the mgr.

He must be one of our few players who could go on to play for bigger clubs. He's had a horrendous defence infant of him most of this season.

Suspect he's told to launch it up and hope we win the second ball as there's very little chance of us moving up the park with total football. 

19 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Kelly may not have complete control of what he does. He could well be carrying out instructions from the mgr.

He must be one of our few players who could go on to play for bigger clubs. He's had a horrendous defence infant of him most of this season.

Suspect he's told to launch it up and hope we win the second ball as there's very little chance of us moving up the park with total football. 

I also add I think he is being told to punt it long and wide. We had several free kicks with players doing the same thing. We do the same thing at kick off. I also notice other teams doing the same thing. Must be the latest fad after such raging successes as no players on the post at corners, no one left up the park when defending corners and of course (my all time favorite) teaching goalies not to catch the ball.