Season 23/24 Dundee v Motherwell 06/08/23

SteelmaninOZ

49 minutes ago, MJC said:

Bit harsh in your assessment there but you are definitely right about O’Donnell, Soare and Wilkinson. None of them look like they will be able to make a positive impact in the team this season, on the early evidence at least. Bair looked surprisingly decent in the first half and took the goal well but was anonymous in the second half, thought to be fair to him he got no support from the middle. 

Very Harsh. ,  We were worth our point , one bit of slack defending cost us. Bair did a decent job, thought Slattery was excellent. Mugabi unusually never put a foot wrong. If anyone thinks we were piss poor you are in for a hell of a season cos we will play alot worse than we did today

4 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Very Harsh. ,  We were worth our point , one bit of slack defending cost us. Bair did a decent job, thought Slattery was excellent. Mugabi unusually never put a foot wrong. If anyone thinks we were piss poor you are in for a hell of a season cos we will play alot worse than we did today

Definitely. That was two well matched sides today. Neither had a lot of quality but both worked hard and a draw was the right result. Obviously having been 1-0 up and conceding a poor equaliser sticks a bit more but overall it was a decent result to kick the season off with.

Thought that Wilkinson showed some very good close control and footwork for a big lad and especially in those conditions. I can see him possibly setting up a lot of chances for other players. Maybe we’ll get a better idea of where we are from the next couple of home games.  COYW!!!!

4 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Thought that Wilkinson showed some very good close control and footwork for a big lad and especially in those conditions. I can see him possibly setting up a lot of chances for other players. Maybe we’ll get a better idea of where we are from the next couple of home games.  COYW!!!!

Yep, 2 big home games coming up. Hopefully with a vociferous home support we can roar lads on. Still be interesting to see in time what strongest team is as I expect Davie the Macedonian to feature but at who's expense? Unless we go 1 up with Spittal behind, then zrdavkovski, Slattery and miller

6 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

👍

Wilkinson , Bair and others need time to adjust and get up to speed.  Difficult to say what they offer and whether they're likely to be the starting front 2 if/when all strikers are fit. 

Similar with Soare, needs time to adjust and see what he has to offer.  He doesn't appear to be a wingback, but he may be a decent enough defender. 

I only saw the 2nd half today and thought S'OD was one of our better players.  If that had been young Max creating chances and getting up the flanks I suspect many would have been delighted.   

In the same way people are being asked to back Bair I'd love to see the same backing for S'OD and the others who regularly get bashed.  We don't need any pantomime villains , just honest guys working for the team. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Wilkinson , Bair and others need time to adjust and get up to speed.  Difficult to say what they offer and whether they're likely to be the starting front 2 if/when all strikers are fit. 

Similar with Soare, needs time to adjust and see what he has to offer.  He doesn't appear to be a wingback, but he may be a decent enough defender. 

I only saw the 2nd half today and thought S'OD was one of our better players.  If that had been young Max creating chances and getting up the flanks I suspect many would have been delighted.   

In the same way people are being asked to back Bair I'd love to see the same backing for S'OD and the others who regularly get bashed.  We don't need any pantomime villains , just honest guys working for the team. 

Absolutely bang on.  We should be encouraging all the lads. We won't agre with selections or formations but once all 11 players on field they deserve total backing

A decent enough point. There’s plenty of effort on show but we are missing some quality in key areas that would make a world of difference. Kettlewell has said from the outset that two dynamic wingbacks are key to our system so until we identify and recruit them, we’re going to toil somewhat. Time and time again Slattery and Spittal got into good positions but didn’t have players with the quality, intelligence and energy of Max and Furlong to link up with. 

Young Lennon continues to impress. However, I hope Davor is the real deal and can help protect our defence.  Dundee ran through the middle of us with ease on multiple occasions. They do have two very good players though in McCowan and Cameron. 

Less than 800 fans at the opening game of the league season. Is that the norm? I was expecting a good few more. Maybe the league cup campaign diminishes the anticipation of the league opener. 

4 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Less than 800 fans at the opening game of the league season. Is that the norm? I was expecting a good few more. Maybe the league cup campaign diminishes the anticipation of the league opener. 

Dens is a shit hole and doesnt deserve my money. Were we in the corner or behind the goals. 800 is over25 % of our home support tho.

33 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Kelly and McGinn caught out at the goal after Soare watches the cross come in. 

Our defence looks a shambles in the highlights. Missing Butcher. 

Butcher is a huge loss, on a par with KVV for me. We unfortunately don’t have another defender at the club who has the attributes to play middle of the back 3. 

On the goal, I’m not sure who was at fault but it was great movement from Cameron. 

Thoroughly enjoyed the game today. Thought both teams put on a good show in testing conditions.

Thought the first half was pretty even we looked solid at the back and we edged it by scoring a very good goal. Really pleased for Theo to get the monkey off his back first time out and he looked a lot better a player than we have been led to believe. Happy to eat my humble pie in that regard right now.

Second half I thought we had more of the ball and looked very good in transition with Slattery and Spittal looking very slick at times, but defensively we were less secure and coughed up a few chances.

Over the piece, a point was probably just about right, but it feels a bit like 2 points that got away.

Those criticising our players need to get a grip. 

Ive not been a fan of Wilkinson so far as the games have largely by-passed him, but he stepped up a level today. He was much more involved and his footwork and close control on a difficult surface was excellent at times.

Spittal is going to be a very important player for us this season. His workrate, desire and creativity are second to none.

Slattery is looking much fitter this season and will push Spittal on this form.

Soare looks like a player who has a touch of class about him but is short of fitness. He looked better today and the 70 minutes he got will have done him well.

Overall I thought it was a decent perfomance in poor conditions with plenty of room for improvement.

It keeps SKs unbeaten away record intact and sets us up well for Hibs next week.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Thoroughly enjoyed the game today. Thought both teams put on a good show in testing conditions.

Thought the first half was pretty even we looked solid at the back and we edged it by scoring a very good goal. Really pleased for Theo to get the monkey off his back first time out and he looked a lot better a player than we have been led to believe. Happy to eat my humble pie in that regard right now.

Second half I thought we had more of the ball and looked very good in transition with Slattery and Spittal looking very slick at times, but defensively we were less secure and coughed up a few chances.

Over the piece, a point was probably just about right, but it feels a bit like 2 points that got away.

Those criticising our players need to get a grip. 

Ive not been a fan of Wilkinson so far as the games have largely by-passed him, but he stepped up a level today. He was much more involved and his footwork and close control on a difficult surface was excellent at times.

Spittal is going to be a very important player for us this season. His workrate, desire and creativity are second to none.

Slattery is looking much fitter this season and will push Spittal on this form.

Soare looks like a player who has a touch of class about him but is short of fitness. He looked better today and the 70 minutes he got will have done him well.

Overall I thought it was a decent perfomance in poor conditions with plenty of room for improvement.

It keeps SKs unbeaten away record intact and sets us up well for Hibs next week.

Good and fair observations of the game. All the players will be feeling the effects of the wet conditions of the pitch.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

There’s plenty of effort on show but we are missing some quality in key areas that would make a world of difference. Kettlewell has said from the outset that two dynamic wingbacks are key to our system so until we identify and recruit them, we’re going to toil somewhat..........Young Lennon continues to impress. However, I hope Davor is the real deal and can help protect our defence.  Dundee ran through the middle of us with ease on multiple occasions. They do have two very good players though in McCowan and Cameron.

I wasn't at the game but a Dundee supporting friend was of the same opinion. He thought we were reasonably good and fully deserved our point but were vulnerable down the flanks and our centre midfield a bit soft or disorganised. A better team would have punished us.

Early days and some changes and improvements to come no doubt but we'll see how good our point was in a few weeks time, when Dundee has met other teams. 

13 hours ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Kettlewell has said from the outset that two dynamic wingbacks are key to our system so until we identify and recruit them, we’re going to toil somewhat. Time and time again Slattery and Spittal got into good positions but didn’t have players with the quality, intelligence and energy of Max and Furlong to link up with. 

Kettlewell said that but then he handed a new contract to substandard SOD and recruited an even older wingback for the other side who is so pish the rest of the team won't pass too him. 

The reality is that we will be watching SOD and McGinley embarrass themselves and the club until January.

• Haha 2

Souare was gash either he's lost it ot past it only played 7 games last year and its clear to see why or is he just unfit and needs time to settle but i dont like a defender who cant stop a cross a good winger will rip him to shreds this season.

It reminded me of the Alexander season where we just let every team cross into the box at will

28 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

Just don't get the criticism of O'Donnell, if young Max had made the run and cross for the goal, many on here would be adding a million onto transfer fee. But as I said none more fickle than some on here. On a lighter note heard that the Rangers are on 2 quiz programmes next week, The Chase and Pointless, over to you Grizzly!!!!!. 

Totally agree about SOD, never understood the amount of criticism the guy gets, had an assist yesterday and not as bad as some make out. You don't get 25 caps for Scotland if you are rank rotten.

PS. After yesterday's defeat Rangers odds of winning title are now 15 to 1 😜😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 3