SPL Motherwell v Hibernian 13/08/2023

SteelmaninOZ

Not a classic today by any means, but feel I got my money's worth by the end of the 90.

To start with the negative stuff, we were pedestrian for large parts of the game. As some have mentioned previously our 2 wing backs (Souare/O'Donnell) don't offer very much going forward. They lack pace and can't do much with the ball except boot it long.

There also seemed to be an issue transitioning the ball from defence to attack more generally. The central midfield seems to be lacking a reliable CM/DM (a la Goss - although himself not exactly perfect) who can take the ball in and distribute. Slattery and Spittal seem to be better in attacking positions and young Miller, although he looks alright, probably doesn't have enough experience for such an important role.

On a positive note, Hibs didn't really cause us too many problems. This is, in part, because they're shite, but our defence and midfield did generally look solid. On a side note - Lee Johnson has to be favourite for first sacking of the year!

Spitall and Slattery had some nice touches and should do as a turn this year. Wilkinson and Bair didn't have much to work with until Beireth came on, although they didn't look great together. Beireth could well be a find - more than anything he just looked really up for it and fought for everything, adding that little bit of quality for the assist and the goal when it counted. I hope he'll be starting next week.

All in all, we look worse than the tail end of last season but, if we can get the strikers set up and sort out our ball retention in midfield, we could have a decent season. I'm not concerned about relegation at this point, it's just a question of how far we can kick on up the table, which will probably depend on whether we can find a winning combination up top.  

COYW!

Edited by BigManTam
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

We didn't play well today but we still deserved the victory over an absolutely dire Hibs team.

First half was verging on embarrassing for top tier football, you'd have to scour the leagues of Europe to find a lower pass completion all weekend I'm guessing.

Second half we improved in patches while Hibs went even further back.

Biereth, obviously, changed the match.  Right after he came on he created a chance just through his movement by creating space for an attack.  Just that one movement, without even touching the ball, he'd shown more than Bair and Wilkinson combined.  

He looked aggressive, pacey, with a decent touch.  

Bair and Wilkinson up top didn't inspire much confidence.  I don't mind Wilkinson doing nothing all game if he scores.  Bair ran about a bit, but, too often, into other players giving away needless fouls.

Defensively we looked very comfortable, Hibs were piss poor, but I wasn't ever nervous about Hibs scoring until they got an injury time penalty.

Midfield was a little off today.  Passing was poor overall.  Especially first half.

Overall though we were well worth the win but I thought Hibs were really abysmal.

I don't agree , first half we didn't do much but we were never in any bother. Second half we played better and controlled the game and played some neat football at times. Hibs first effort on goal was on 90 minutes , if that's us not playing well I'll take it.

Offensively we can certainly improve and did improve as from 30 min onwards. 

What I really do like about how SK sets his team up is we do the defensive work well, work hard and win a huge amount of 2nd balls. 

In an ideal world we'd move the ball better and find our men, pass & move with a bit more purpose.  We need a bit more quality in the team for that to happen. 

Overall though a very well drilled team, who are proving very difficult to beat.   

We were solid and deserved our win. We made hibs look ordinary and didn't give their attack a look in, even with Doidge throwing elbows around like prime Dusty Rhodes.

That midfield three is just excellent, they never stopped and you can see things beginning to click with the inter play.

Mika looks to have replaced KVV in the "just put the ball in his general vicinity and he can do the rest" stakes.

11 minutes ago, twistandshout1983 said:

Hibs looked poor today

I don't think it's any coincidence that since SK took charge a lot of our opponents have looked poor. We've found a shape that restricts most teams we've encountered.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I don't think it's any coincidence that since SK took charge a lot of our opponents have looked poor. We've found a shape that restricts most teams we've encountered.

Which is why criticism of Kettlewell at this stage (from some on here), given his stats, seems quite perverse. He has actually quite a threadbare squad in some areas yet hasn't lost an away game and has only lost to The Hens and (unaccountably) Dundee Utd. at Firpers.

Interesting match coming up in Paisley.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

It’s going to be hard handling a defeat when it comes along. 

This place will go into ultra meltdown , look what happened when we signed two strikers who have since both scored in the first two real games. 

I think the doom mongers from earlier in this thread need to come to terms with the fact that if Kettlewell sees something in a player, thats better than some fans not being excited by a player. Bair and Wilkinson won't score at this level. Well, they've both scored in 50% of league games they've played in.

There's not many Motherwell managers can say theyve lost 2 in their first 20. Let the guy do his fucking job and stop greetin' about everything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We were dire in the 1st half, no creativity, no urgency, and really no clue. Fortunatley Hibs were just as bad.

Defo improvement second half but until we brought on Mika, we didnt look like scoring.

Obviously only a half hour cameo so cant get too carried away but the lad looks head & shoulders above the rest of our players. Strength,pace, skill & an eye for goal. Desire was mentioned up thread, that too. Looks like he has a real football brain with some of the runs & passes he was trying. The worry is our diddies might not be on his wavelength.

Lets hope he pushes on. On the evidence from today our strikeforce needs to be him plus one of the other three.

4 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

I think the doom mongers from earlier in this thread need to come to terms with the fact that if Kettlewell sees something in a player, thats better than some fans not being excited by a player. Bair and Wilkinson won't score at this level. Well, they've both scored in 50% of league games they've played in.

There's not many Motherwell managers can say theyve lost 2 in their first 20. Let the guy do his fucking job and stop greetin' about everything. 

On reflection re your second paragraph, when was the last  'Well manager who lost  only 2 out of his last 20?

Might have to go back to the league-challenging  'Well teams of the 30s for similar or perhaps a stat. from the Ancell Babes era.