Motherwell v Ross County 28/10/2023

SteelmaninOZ

44 minutes ago, steelboy said:

We need at least 1 win before the next international break or it's looking bleak. 

Looking bleak aye OK then,  we've played 9 games ffs, 29 left 87 points up for grabs, we've lost 4 out of 5 and were still 6th so for me it a few months yet before it looks bleak.

• Like 1

I see a lot of criticism of Bair. He isn't good enough I agree but at least he seems to be doing something. He is trying to link up play and chasing lost causes. Does it make up for his other deficiencies? No....

But can someone please explain what Shaw actually does? Or what it appears he is trying to do? I can see what Bair is trying to do. He's not good enough to do it but still... If Shaw is playing to the manager's instructions, then I have no idea what those instructions are...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I see a lot of criticism of Bair. He isn't good enough I agree but at least he seems to be doing something. He is trying to link up play and chasing lost causes. Does it make up for his other deficiencies? No....

But can someone please explain what Shaw actually does? Or what it appears he is trying to do? I can see what Bair is trying to do. He's not good enough to do it but still... If Shaw is playing to the manager's instructions, then I have no idea what those instructions are...

Noticed when he came off he was totally ignored by Kettlewell who is normally over with a hand shake. 

That may tell the story of whether or not he was following the managers instructions. 

6 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

While I don't want to adopt Shaw as a cause he has started 1 match for us against Theo Bair's 10.

21 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Looking bleak aye OK then,  we've played 9 games ffs, 29 left 87 points up for grabs, we've lost 4 out of 5 and were still 6th so for me it a few months yet before it looks bleak.

We haven't won any of our last 5. We haven't even been ahead in any of the games. If we get to 9 games without a win it's a major crisis. 

We have Aberdeen (H), Kilmarnock (A), St Johnstone (A), Hearts (H) in the space of 12 days before the break. 

7 minutes ago, weeyin said:

1. Don't shoot

2. Don't jump

3. Under no circumstances win a header

4. Don't anticipate the ball breaking in your direction

5. When a player out wide is about to cut the ball back, make sure you are nowhere to be seen

6. Never make a front post run

7. Don't expect to be the first subbed off, no matter how little you contribute.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

First off, let's hope the manager notices we've not scored a goal with Theo Bair on the pitch for two months.

Yep, maybe the experiment hasn't worked but it's probably not cost the earth and was worth a punt...Ollie Shaw has been very ineffectual for me, doesn't have a physical presence unlike Bair, 

58 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I was saying the very same earlier. Bair is a fairly limited nuisance who occasionally links play. Oil shaw runs around trying his best to avoid the ball. Truly abysmal. Easily the worst of our forward line

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Yep, maybe the experiment hasn't worked but it's probably not cost the earth and was worth a punt...Ollie Shaw has been very ineffectual for me, doesn't have a physical presence unlike Bair, 

I was expecting more from Shaw today but perhaps get more from him playing alongside Biereth. 

Without focussing on negatives we managed to get a point when after 87 mins it looked impossible. Lets celebrate that 

For me I have given Bair a chance but with strikers back he can't start now, not good enough and for me Spencer has to start on natural side.  

Mika is the key factor for us, changed the game and big shout to Wilko (great finish) and young Luca.

Bring on the dons on Wednesday 

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

I was expecting more from Shaw today but perhaps get more from him playing alongside Biereth. 

Shaw looks devoid of all confidence .

Suspect he’s more talented than we’ve witnessed .

be interesting to see what Wilkinson and Mika can do together - equally I’m ok with one up front as long as it’s Mika - likes of spittal and slattery pushing up would give decent assistance 

3 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Just about right. Bair was laying off and gathering balls and actually moving about but had no one running forward beside him to put it to . Seems more of a hold up type forward than out n out striker , may end up a good foil for Mika.  But then again i may just be talking shite.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stv said:

Just about right. Bair was laying off and gathering balls and actually moving about but had no one running forward beside him to put it to . Seems more of a hold up type forward than out n out striker , may end up a good foil for Mika.  But then again i may just be talking shite.

🧻 might help 😅

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

Without focussing on negatives we managed to get a point when after 87 mins it looked impossible. Lets celebrate that 

For me I have given Bair a chance but with strikers back he can't start now, not good enough and for me Spencer has to start on natural side.  

Mika is the key factor for us, changed the game and big shout to Wilko (great finish) and young Luca.

Bring on the dons on Wednesday 

Motherwell FC The team for me :clapping:

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

Shaw looks devoid of all confidence .

Suspect he’s more talented than we’ve witnessed .

A lot of Kilmarnock fans were less than complimentary about him when he signed for us. Could be because he left them, but it never happened for him at Barnsley, and his goalscoring record in the last year or so makes Bair look like Erling Haaland. There's still time for him to find some form, but how long can we persist with starting another non scoring striker in the hope he will?

It was good to get a point and stop the run of loses. It was also good to get a point from a seemingly lost cause at 2-0 and then 3-1 down with so little time remaining.

What a difference the introduction of Biereth made. Just having a forward with pace and power and a willingness to run beyond the backline completely changed the dynamic of the game. His whole mentality seems to be that of a winner. Even at 3-3, while half the team were away celebrating he grabbed the ball and was urging the players back to get restart the game and chase the winner. Great to see from Biereth, but also a bit of an eye-opener for the team and the support. Rather than celebrate a point, we should be looking for 3 from that game. I hope that some of that desire and urgency rubs off on to others in the squad.

I think that we saw our best first choice forward pairing in Biereth and Wilkinson today. For me, they are the best chance that we have of scoring goals. I hope that they get some game time to see if they can form a valuable partnership.

A special mention for Brodie Spencer who I thought was our top man. I have no idea why SK thought that subbing him was a good idea.

• Like 1

A most peculiar game today, in which we just about deserved a draw. Before hand I would have been disappointed not to pick up all 3. A great comeback all the same which speaks volumes about team character. 

SK is being tested in this run just now and is struggling. Teams have now seen enough of us to work out our strengths and weaknesses and just as Ross County and Livingston did, so will Aberdeen, Killie and St Johnstone. Whether we play with a single striker or two, they have us sussed. Our 1 or maybe 2 aces in the pack are Biereth and Butcher, but a lot will depend on the former's fitness.

Today's points were conceded before kick off, to a considerable extent. I'm being Captain Hindsight, but Shaw should never have started before Wilkinson. At the very least the former should have been hooked just after half time. Our defence was very poor and depending on fitness, Butcher should have replaced, a totally out of form, Mugabi midway through the second half, if not before, when the warning lights were flashing. He's usually good for a blunder per game but today it was several.

Our weak point, which isn't being addressed is our wing backs. Once again, just like Livingston, Ross County exploited our weaknesses out wide, where they enjoyed far too much space. That can't be allowed to continue as its costing us. For sure, our next few opponents will have picked up on that.

We could easily have been 3 goals down by the 7 minute mark and again in the second half Ross County gave us ample warning of our frailties at the back as they sliced through our midfield and defence with ease and created numerous chances.  Again that needs sorted out pronto.  

Dingwall Amateur Dramatic Society aka Ross County were streetwise and played the referee like a fiddle.  Considering Wilko's yellow card at Livingston I think we're fully entitled to feel hard done by. A record number of VAR checks and I'll look back with interest at those "pivotal" incidents which TV has chosen to include in their highlights.

There's plenty to ponder with games coming up thick and fast. One things for sure, changes are needed and quickly. More of the same simply won't do. 

To finish on a positive, it was great to see young Luca Ross grab the late equaliser. He had a decent game when he came on.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MFCL84 said:

I think that we saw our best first choice forward pairing in Biereth and Wilkinson today. For me, they are the best chance that we have of scoring goals. I hope that they get some game time to see if they can form a valuable partnership.

Undoubtedly.

From the little I've seen I'd say Obika is number 3. Bair tries hard but simply isn't Premiership level and Shaw was a panic stop gap signing. Much will depend on Biereth's fitness as to how much he'll be played.

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

A most peculiar game today, in which we just about deserved a draw. Before hand I would have been disappointed not to pick up all 3. A great comeback all the same which speaks volumes about team character. 

SK is being tested in this run just now and is struggling. Teams have now seen enough of us to work out our strengths and weaknesses and just as Ross County and Livingston did, so will Aberdeen, Killie and St Johnstone. Whether we play with a single striker or two, they have us sussed. Our 1 or maybe 2 aces in the pack are Biereth and Butcher, but a lot will depend on the former's fitness.

Today's points were conceded before kick off, to a considerable extent. I'm being Captain Hindsight, but Shaw should never have started before Wilkinson. At the very least the former should have been hooked just after half time. Our defence was very poor and depending on fitness, Butcher should have replaced, a totally out of form, Mugabi midway through the second half, if not before, when the warning lights were flashing. He's usually good for a blunder per game but today it was several.

Our weak point, which isn't being addressed is our wing backs. Once again, just like Livingston, Ross County exploited our weaknesses out wide, where they enjoyed far too much space. That can't be allowed to continue as its costing us. For sure, our next few opponents will have picked up on that.

We could easily have been 3 goals down by the 7 minute mark and again in the second half Ross County gave us ample warning of our frailties at the back as they sliced through our midfield and defence with ease and created numerous chances.  Again that needs sorted out pronto.  

Dingwall Amateur Dramatic Society aka Ross County were streetwise and played the referee like a fiddle.  Considering Wilko's yellow card at Livingston I think we're fully entitled to feel hard done by. A record number of VAR checks and I'll look back with interest at those "pivotal" incidents which TV has chosen to include in their highlights.

There's plenty to ponder with games coming up thick and fast. One things for sure, changes are needed and quickly. More of the same simply won't do. 

To finish on a positive, it was great to see young Luca Ross grab the late equaliser. He had a decent game when he came on.  

Well said :hi: