Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

3 minutes ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

If true then it might be the first decent thing the board have done in 3yrs. Getting in a new appointment quickly

regardless on whether it’s lambert I don’t think they will hang about with making an appointment 

Seriously cant think that's a goer unless there is a get out clause if we are relegated.. 

If Lambert then that for me would be a great move.  He has made his money so I dont think wages would be an issue.  And if it's a case of him putting himself in shop window(similar to Steve Clarke going to Killie) them only way he gets a bigger job is if he does well with us .

However I doubt we will get him

9 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

If Lambert then that for me would be a great move.  He has made his money so I dont think wages would be an issue.  And if it's a case of him putting himself in shop window(similar to Steve Clarke going to Killie) them only way he gets a bigger job is if he does well with us .

However I doubt we will get him

did he not get a hard time from the fans when he left for dortmund grizzly ?  or am a gettin mixed up

4 minutes ago, smiddy said:

did he not get a hard time from the fans when he left for dortmund grizzly ?  or am a gettin mixed up

I heard an interview with him,he left on a bosman and went for a trial with PSV before joining Dortmund, it might've been a case that we got no money for him but I never held a grudge against him,I'd have him back in a heartbeat 

We lost him, McKinnon, and Alex Burns when the first bosmans happened. We were all a bit pissed about it, but I can't remember anything being directed at the players. The chat a few years later was that Lambert and McKinnon would have stayed if they had got a modest pay raise.

Man, what a team that was. Some of the stuff between Coyne, Davies and Lambert was magic.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, smiddy said:

All would be forgiven if he could save us from relegation. He was a great player for us and his worth in the team was not fully recognised till he was gone.  He and Tommy Coyne are my favourite Motherwell players in my football going lifetime.

Gritty, intelligent player with a fair amount of ability. If he could instill some of that into our current playing squad it would be a master stroke.

I would be excited by this if it happened.

I see that the official statement says "The chairman and non-executive directors have begun the recruitment process to appoint the next manager."

I hope that means that on this occasion we've broken with tradition and intend approaching specific targets rather than advertising and spreading the net wider. Some individuals might not want to apply for various reasons and would prefer to be approached.

Our chairman said:

”Steven Hammell is and forever will be a colossus in Motherwell FC history. Unfortunately, due to a number of factors, his time in charge hasn’t worked out the we all really hoped it would.”

Well chairman, would you care to elaborate on exactly what these factors were?

51 minutes ago, El Grew said:

Our chairman said:

”Steven Hammell is and forever will be a colossus in Motherwell FC history. Unfortunately, due to a number of factors, his time in charge hasn’t worked out the we all really hoped it would.”

Whatever the factors are,it would suggest they have been going on for a while,so it begs the question why give hammell the whole of january to bring players in when it's clear to most of us that he should have been sacked weeks ago.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, El Grew said:

Our chairman said:

The main factor is the board who are feckin hopeless,  Hammell should have been punted 2 months ago, its been error after error with them, sanctioning poor recruitment, long term contracts for shite players, Alexander's contract extension, appointing Hammell, more poor recruitment, our long term  CEO suddenly deciding to resign and move to a rival club.

It's a long term litany of feck ups from the people allegedly running the club, the phrase used in earlier posts sums them up perfectly " Enthusiastic amateurs "  so we need change there as well, a premiership ( for now) professional football club should have professional people running it, 

If there's one thing to pay decent money for it's a manager.

Luring quality managers to FP isn't easy but like a few have mentioned there's a few very capable managers out there who'd like to put themselves in the shop window. 

I'm hopeful that we can lure someone like Lambert, Ross, Goodwin. 

I don't think we can mess around here, time is of the essence.  

9 hours ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

What experience has he in a relegation battle?

The ability to organise the team, motivate them and manage any dressing room splits will be the same whether embroiled in a relegation battle or fighting to win the league.

I found it interesting in the summer when names like Lennon, Lambert, Mackay were being written off by some as not good enough. It is proof positive that no matter who our board appoint, it will not be met with universal enthusiasm.

I know that Neil Lennon is a particularly polarising character but a man who has significant Champions League experience as well as a few league titles under his belt, certainly has the experience and skill set to manage Motherwell.

No appointment is going to ensure our league survival but NL would give us a better chance than most. Tax issues aside however, I don't think Motherwell could offer a manager of that experience enough to make it enticing. 

The stars may aline with Lambert given that he has a history with the club and is looking to build his reputation again. A man with 14-15 years experience in the top flight in England is a man we should be delighted to welcome to Motherwell.

I scratch my head sometimes when these names are written off as not suitable.

Be delighted with Lambert, we need someone who can win a relegation scrap plus bring us straight back up if it doesn’t work out.   I think the point to prove angle is key, you want someone who has possibly been unfairly punted (Ross at Hibs, Goodwin at the Sheep) but is fundamentally a decent coach who wants to burnish their reputation again, also is OK financially via pay-offs etc so can take a pay cut.   Ross at the Arabs is an outlier that I think reflects more on the catastrof**k of a club they are currently.  

I love Big Yogi, particularly what he did with ICT and how he got them playing, however he’s lost 2 out of 3 of his recent relegation-saving gigs with the Staggies the only exception, so may count against him.

Interesting times.

I dont know why we are discussing this , as our next manager is living in plain sight on these very forums.

Step forward  ON THE FRINGES    , he has all the answers , he's a tactical wizard, has inside info straight from the dressing room .

The press conferences would be hilarious , he would blind the journos with big words and word salad answers.

I have heard that Fergie used to phone him for advice. No not Sir Alex but the now deceased Hamilton accies jakeball.

Or we could go for Mike Bassett. No difference I suppose .

• Haha 5

• David changed the title to Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread