2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

Where will the new boy fit in though once pearo is fit, replace captain Lasley in the middle? Marv and Lionel have made left and right mid their own so they will always start when fit.

This is the thing though of what you'd currently expect to be our first choice midfield 4;

- Pearson's 32 and currently injured and out for up to 6/7 weeks. He'll take a while to get back to match fitness after that. He was also out for a while last season too. Basically, he's not getting any younger.

- Lasley's 35 and with the best will in the world to ask him to maintain a high level of performance over for an entire season is totally unrealistic. Of the players we have at the moment Jack Leitch seems the obvious candidate to step in for him on occasion.

- Ainsworth as many have pointed out on here, blows hot and cold. To be fair that really shouldn't need highlighting.

- Johnson as effective as he is, will be bound to have a dip in form and will plainly need a rest at points. It's also telling that he's been able to switch wings while Ainsworth's been suspended. Which opens up the left sided berth.

Looking at it reasonably, then there should clearly be opportunities for Taylor to start in either the left centre or wide left roles. Having said that I've not seen him play beyond a few YouTube clips so I've no idea whether or not he'd be able to fit in in another role but I'd say there's a fair chance of him seeing more than a decent amount of game time.

• Like 1

If everybody is fit and available then I would have our starting midfield of Johnson, Taylor, Pearson, and Ainsworth. As much as I like Lasley he has lost that bit of pace and struggles to last 90 mins these days, so along with Leitch I would have them as sub's to come on as required.

• Like 1

So you'd drop our club captain, who in the two games this season has performed above average certainly compared to his contemporaries, for an untested/unseen guy from mid level Championship, unfancied by his manager that was loaned out to a relegated team in the 3rd tier of English football.

Riiiiiggggghhhhhtttttttt

I'm all for him replacing anyone in the squad, but on merit opposed to reputation or hearsay.

• Like 1

Vigurs back to Caley confirmed by the BBC.

Smiling at their view that Vigurs was "used sparingly" by Motherwell last season.

I guess the thorough BBC reporter never questioned why when he looked as his total appearances on Soccerbase why he didn't play beyond December...

Reading Hughes comments I'm not sure it is the same Vigurs we had last year!.

So you'd drop our club captain, who in the two games this season has performed above average certainly compared to his contemporaries, for an untested/unseen guy from mid level Championship, unfancied by his manager that was loaned out to a relegated team in the 3rd tier of English football.

Riiiiiggggghhhhhtttttttt

I'm all for him replacing anyone in the squad, but on merit opposed to reputation or hearsay.

Let's not get all sentimental about Lasley truth is he has lost that bit of pace which means he always seems to be chasing players these days. IB never brought in Taylor to warm the bench so when everybody is fit who would you drop to accommodate him, Pearson or Lasley ?

I'm not getting sentimental, I'm basing things on merit and so far an unseen and untested player has your choice ahead of Lasley who has his faults yes, but nothing so far I've seen to dislodge him from the team.

Your sentimental charge was already dead in the water when I said "I'm all for him replacing anyone in the squad ......"

I'm not suggesting we have to drop anyone, he has an opportunity to start for the next 6 or so games, in that time he may shine, he may falter. Lasley may lose form or get injured, we may go 5 in the middle, what I'm saying is in this game with all the randomness involved to assume we'll have a full squad to pick from in 6 weeks time is ambitious.

Let's not get all sentimental about Lasley truth is he has lost that bit of pace which means he always seems to be chasing players these days. IB never brought in Taylor to warm the bench so when everybody is fit who would you drop to accommodate him, Pearson or Lasley ?

Depends on whether or not the manager thinks Pearson (or Taylor) can do Lasley's job and also how Lasley's playing. Both Pearson and Lasley perfom two fundamentally different roles in the team after all. In the most general terms one attacking, one more defensive.

You're right though, just because he's Captain shouldn't mean he's undroppable if we have a better option to perform the role but by the same token you'd hope that if he's performing to a high level that he'd be selected on that basis.

Love it. Lets drop Lasley who has been our best player so far this season with a guy we have just signed and nobody has ever seen kick a ball!!

Also lets just disregard the fact Lasley is the club captain and no doubt motivates those around him on the pitch and behind the scenes.

Bat shit crazy.

• Like 2

Have they? Based on what? Two play-off games?

Pretty sure everyone will agree they will be the preferred wingers for IB when fit and available.

IB never brought in Taylor to warm the bench so when everybody is fit who would you drop to accommodate him, Pearson or Lasley ?

Pretty much the point of my post as it doesnt sound like the new guy has come here to warm the bench.

Also Cant see IB playing 3 at the back to accomodate 3 central mids. Looks like a settled 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 for the majority of matches anyway.

If it means anything, at the very least no player will be on cruise control thinking they are an automatic pick. Feels like it's been a long, long time since we have had a squad like this where bench players will be fighting for that starting berth. Competition is a good thing.

• Like 5

Pretty sure everyone will agree they will be the preferred wingers for IB when fit and available.

Again, based on what? They weren't regulars during last season for the manager so why is everyone sure they will be this time around? Ainsworth wasn't exactly Mr Consistency in the second half of last season.

I'm not saying I know where Taylor will fit in but I'm just intrigued that so many seem to have decided that Marvin and Ainsworth are guaranteed starters and yet the club captain isn't?

I keep saying it but Lasley was a late starter didn't play first team football until he was around the 20/21 mark. The fact that he's 35 I think is misleading in terms of his general condition. Reckon he's still got a couple of years in the tank.

If you need any proof he won the MotM against Inverness, he was our best out field at the weekend and was absolutely immense against Rangers at the end of a long hard season.

As for Jake Taylor, on the face of it a good signing. Has a pedigree you'd think would put him beyond a club of our means. Will be interesting to see how he does.

I keep saying it but Lasley was a late starter didn't play first team football until he was around the 20/21 mark. The fact that he's 35 I think is misleading in terms of his general condition. Reckon he's still got a couple of years in the tank.

If you need any proof he won the MotM against Inverness, he was our best out field at the weekend and was absolutely immense against Rangers at the end of a long hard season.

As for Jake Taylor, on the face of it a good signing. Has a pedigree you'd think would put him beyond a club of our means. Will be interesting to see how he does.

Obviously highly rated by the manager.................straight into the line up V Hearts

I keep saying it but Lasley...... If you need any proof....... he was our best out field at the weekend

Not according to the MOTM vote for last Saturday. Louis Laing beat him by 3 votes. I know Keith is very popular and not without good reason but I'm not sure that the reality matches many fans' perception.

I think even Lasley would admit he's a limited player and I know I have questioned his ability in the past, particularly the first 6 months of last season. But I have to say I think his performances have really improved under Bara and his fitness has improved no end (as with Hammell, whose the fittest ive ever seen him at the start of the season)

I cant see him being dropped as he doesn't deserve to be, I think he's too important to the team.